RULES OF THE V INTERNATIONAL PIANO COMPETITION "CITY OF VIGO - GALICIA"
(Tamás Vásáry Edition)
1 The Association of Classical Music of Galicia (AMCG) organizes the V International Piano Competition "City of Vigo", which will be held from August 25th to 29th, 2021 (Openning Concert 24th).
2 The contestants must be present at the presentation and at the draw, which will be public. If they cannot present themselves to the raffle, they must send to our organization a sworn or justified statement scanned, explaining the reasons, and the organization will decide if this is possible.
The order of action of the contestants will be maintained in subsequent rounds. The competition calendar will be as follows:
• From Juny 24th to July 31th: Registration and first pre-selection phase.
• From August 1st to 5th: Jury deliberations of preselection jury.
• From August 6th to 7th: Communication of the selected participants.
• From August 7th to 10th: Period to make the payment.
• August 24th at 20:30: Ceremony and concert opening concert.
• August 25th at 9:00: Reception of the participants and draw.
• August 25th from 11:00 and from 16:00: First round.
• August 26th from 11:00 and from 16:00 First round.
• August 27th from 11:00 and from 16:00: First round.
• August 28th from 11:00 and from 16:00: Semifinal.
• August 29th at 17:00: Final, jury deliberation and awards ceremony.
3 Pianists of any nationality, WITHOUT AGE LIMIT, may participate in the competition.
4 To participate in our contest, candidates must register through our website (pre-registration form) and attach their biography in English (in PDF format), a photo, and a piano video recording of only a maximum of 15 minutes (solo piano), through a single YouTube video link (of the best quality as possible). The deadline for such pre-registration ends on July 31st, 2021 at 11.59 PM. When registering, the contestant must receive an automatic e-mail of confirmation, once he submits the form, the following sentence must appear in his screen: "Thank you, your submission has been received". If you do not receive this email, please contact the organization at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The jury of the pre-selection tests will be composed of professionals with a recognized career:
5 The pre-registration fee to participate in the first phase of the contest (pre-selection with video recording) will be free of charge. The deadline to register ends on July 31st and you must fulfil the registration form through our website: www.vigopianocompetition.com. From August 6th to 7th, 2021, we will notify to those who are finally selected to participate in the competition in Vigo, who must pay the remaining amount of the preregistration fee, amount which will be communicated in that email to the selected participants .The transfer will be made to the following account number, specifying the name of the participant at the subject of the transfer: Galician Classical Music Association: Bank: NCG / IBAN ES25 2080 5058 9830 4003 4453 / SWIFT-BIC: CAGLESMMXXX. You can also make the payment through this PayPal account: email@example.com. Fees and commissions will be paid by the participant, including the bank transfer and Paypal commission fees.
In case any of the selected participants does not make the payment in time (maximum till August 9th), organization will notify to the next participant of the reservation list. Once the payment is completed, the amount will not be refunded under any circumstances. Likewise, if the competition is postponed due foce majoure circumstances, registration fee will be neither refunded.
6 The jury of the competition is composed by 5 members of recognized musical career path: Their decisions will be published on the web www.vigopianocompetition.com. The jury is not obliged to grant all the prizes and their decisions will be final. Prizes will be subject to the corresponding withholdings according to current law.
7 The competition organization is allowed to record and broadcast all the rounds of the competition, and exercise all the recording rights.
8 In case of a translation mistake in the rules, the Spanish Regulation will be taken as official one.
9 The Organizing Committee can resolve or determine all those situations not contemplated in the present rules. Likewise, it could expand the present rules at any time, in order to adapt them to any new external situations that may arise.
10 Some of the prizes could be shared and the jury is not obliged to grant all the prizes, being its decisions unquestionable. Likewise, only can be awarded those participants who achieve at least an 8 as average mark by dividing the sum of the scores of all the jury members by the number of jury members. Registration implies full acceptance of the rules of the competition. Concerning to the concerts announced for the first prize winner, the organizationn will be not resposible for the cancellation by the cancellation of institutions which organize them, if that were the case.
11 The competition will consist of Pre-Selection Phase, First Round, Semifinal and Final.
12 Organic Law 15/1999 on Protection of Personal Data (LOPD). The personal data (including photographs, identity documents and images) that the contestants send, will be incorporated into a file owned by the Association of Classical Music of Galicia, being used only for purposes of the Association's activity. According to the LOPD, the rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition may be exercised by any participant, by writing an email to the Galician Classical Music Association, firstname.lastname@example.org or Asociacionmusicaclasica@gmail.com.
13 DETAILS REGARDING THE PROGRAM, RECORDING OF YOUTUBE AND THE DIFFERENT PHASES OF THE COMPETITION
• Interpretation of own compositions will not be allowed.
• The interpretation of individual movements (sonatas, suites when inside of them will be individual pieces), will be allowed.
• All works will be interpreted from memory, except the Galician composer work (not obligatory), which can also be performed with score.
• Participants must also provide 3 copies of scores in case that they perform unknown or contemporary authors. In case of not contributing them, they could be disqualified.
• The program is of free choice and none of the pieces is obligatory, being optional to perform the pieces required in order to opt to the best performer of a Spanish composer, best performer of a female composer, best performer of the Galician composer, and best performer of a Bach's work.
• To be eligible for the Bach prize, the composer's original works must be performed, and not transcriptions.
• The repetition of the same work is not allowed during the different rounds of the competition (with the exception of pieces of the pre-selection video, which can be repeated during the competition in Vigo).
• The performance of the contestants will not be cut during any phase of the competition, unless they exceed the maximum time allowed.
• The maximum number of participants selected to participate in the competition will be decided by the artistic committee.
• No member of the pre-selection jury or main jury is allowed to vote for their students, family, friends or "enemies". In that case, either preselection jury or main jury must inform about this fact to the organization of the competition.
• Concerning the rounds of the competition, it will not be allowed to exceed the time allowed for each round, since it could lead to the disqualification of the participant or that his/her performance will be interrupted.
• During the competition, if any of the competitors have any question, and only if organization staff cannot solve the doubts, it will be possible to ask directly to our artistic director and member of the jury Mr. Pablo Galdo.
• Participants must be present at the draw, which will be held in August 25th, 2021 at the Martín Códax hall of the Superior Conservatory of Music. Participants must carry their ID or passport.
• All participants will try the grand piano of the competition, before their performance.
• The winners of prizes or Special Mentions have the obligation to collect their prizes personally at the awards ceremony and closing ceremony. Also, they must stay for the official photos that the organization has as well as be present in interviews and photos of the press, before and after the final. If this were not the case, that prize would be revoked.
• All the participants of our competition, as well as the prize winners or Special mentions diplom, in case of mentioning the jury members in social networks, digital and physical media (magazines, press ... etc), must mention all and each of them. Otherwise, their participation in the competition or any prize awarded to them could be revoked. Also, the first prize winner is obliged to play all concerts of the tour which are included in that award.
• THE OPENING ACT, which includes the presentation of the members of the jury as well as the concert of some of the winners of the previous edition, will be held in August 24 at 8:30 p.m. All participants will have free access to this concert, as well as to all rounds, including the Final.
• YOUTUBE RECORDING:
• Only 1 YouTube link should be sent, and it must be video (not only audio).
• It is not necessary to make a recording exclusively for the contest, but it can be a recording that have been already been made before.
• In the title or information of the YouTube video it must be written the title of the pieces.
• In the YouTube recording, the works could be performed on different dates, and pieces of piano solo.
• Individual movements of the pieces can be sent.
• The program presented in the YouTube recording can also be performed during any round of the competition.
• It is recommended that the recording is of high quality. Live performance recordings are also allowed
• Cuts or video editions which are intended to correct errors are not allowed.
• Registration of participants presenting a recording that exceeds the maximum time required in the pre-selection round (15 minutes) will not be valid. In that case, the organization will not be obliged to inform the contestant about that fact.
15 It is forbidden, during the days of the competition and all the rounds, to talk or to have contact with the jury members. Only, and just in case that organization team cannot solve doubts related to program to perform, participants could talk to our artistic director and member of jury, Mr Pablo Galdo. To break this rule could be a reason for exclusion.
16 Before competition, sporadic masterclasses with any of the jury members are allowed. However, outside of those masterclasses, will be not allowed to have contact through social nets, e-mail, telephone...etc with any of the jury members, before the competition. That could be grounds of exclusion.
17 Any serious disrespect to the organization or any of its members, as well as breaking any of the rules, could be grounds for exclusion
18 In case that any jury member could not be finally present in the competition, organization could replace that jury member for other ones/s of recognized prestige. That will not imply, in any case, the refund of the registration fee.
19 If for any reason the competition must be postponed to new dates, rules and prizes could be modified, due external reasons to the organization. Also, if due force majeure circumstances the celebration of competition will be postponed, the organization will be not responsible for the expenses in whcih any contestant previously incurred, in orther to attent to the competition.
20 If due to force majeure or justified causes by the organization, it will be decided that the competition must adopt the online format, the contestants must adapt to it, and the registration fees will be not reimbursable in any case.
21 Contestants under 18 years old must send a signed and scanned authorization from the father, mother or guardian, assuming any responsibility arising from their participation at the competition.
22 Several classrooms will be available for the practise of the participants from August 25th, the first day of the competition.
23 There is a hotel that will have a special price for our participants at the competition. 45 euros per person in a single room, and 33 euros per person in a double room shared with another competitor (66 euros the total double room), both prices with breakfast included. Those interested in making a reservation should send an email to email@example.com and say that they are participants of our competition.
24 To reach Vigo, there are 4 international airports nearby: Vigo, Santiago de Compostela, Porto and A Coruña. Other possible combination would be arriving in Madrid or Barcelona, and taking another flight to one of the 4 airports previously mentioned. To get to Vigo from any airport, there are several combinations of buses, trains or even applications such as Blablacar or Amovens.
25 The official piano of the contest will be a Grand Shigeru Kawai, of great quality.